GW Hospital ranked among D.C.’s top hospitals for first time in at least three years

In recent weeks, discussions about the GW Hospital’s plans to open a new hospital in Southeast D.C. have reached a boiling point.

The GW Hospital was ranked among the U.S. News & World Report’s best D.C.-area hospitals for the first time in at least three years.

GW Hospital tied with two other Virginia hospitals for fifth place, while Inova Fairfax Hospital topped the list. The University’s hospital ranked as “high performing” in five areas – cancer, nephrology, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer surgery and heart failure, according to the U.S. News website.

“GW Hospital is proud to have served as a pillar of the D.C. healthcare community for decades,” Kimberly Russo, the hospital’s chief executive officer and managing director, said in a hospital press release. “These rankings reflect our commitment to excellence and to meeting our mission of providing the highest quality healthcare to the region.”

The annual rankings are based on data from more than 4,500 medical centers, the release states.

The data ranks hospitals’ proficiencies in adult and pediatric medical specialties, as well as nine common procedures and conditions, according to U.S. News’ website. GW Hospital’s patient experience level is rated two out of five stars, the same score it received the past two years, U.S. News’ page on GW Hospital states.

Hospitals labeled as “high performing” in a specialty are not nationally ranked but “scored high enough in a specialty to put them in the top 10 percent of the analyzed centers,” according to the U.S. News website.