Energy efficiency nonprofit names D.C. top five city for clean energy

The District clinched the No. 5 spot in a new report ranking U.S. cities’ energy conservation efforts across five categories.

The nonprofit group American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy ranked D.C. just below Boston, Seattle, San Francisco and Minneapolis in a report released Friday that evaluates cities based on their efforts to reduce energy use. The report ranked the District’s energy use across five sectors: local government operations, community-wide initiatives, building policies, energy and water utilities and transportation policies.

D.C. received a score of 68 out of 100 on the report – about 10 points behind Boston, the No. 1 city – surpassing the median score in each of the five categories. The District jumped three places from its previous ranking at the No. 8 spot, which it secured in ACEEE’s 2017 report.

The report named D.C.’s mandate to use 50 percent renewable power by 2032 – codified in the 2018 Clean Energy D.C. Omnibus Amendment Act – as an influence on the city’s higher score this year. The District scored highest in transportation policies, receiving 23 out of 30 possible points.

“The District also earned the second-highest score for transportation policies due to its sustainable transportation planning, freight system efficiency and clean, efficient transportation for low-income communities,” the report states.

D.C.’s lowest scores were given in energy and water utilities and building policies.

The ranking comes amid another report released last week by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration which found that D.C., among other East Coast cities, is emitting twice as much methane as the Environmental Protection Agency previously estimated.