Cavanaugh signs one-year deal with club Berlin team

Former men’s basketball forward Tyler Cavanaugh signed a year-long deal with the German professional basketball club Alba Berlin, according to a press release Sunday.

The 2017-graduate will get his first taste of overseas basketball playing for the Berliners.
The Berlin-based club has seen continued success in the German basketball circuit, winning eight German National League Championships, nine German Cups and three German Supercups since 1991.

“I am very excited about the opportunity to play for ALBA next season,” Cavanaugh said in the release. “ALBA is a well-known club, about which I have heard only positive from all sides.”

Himar Ojeda, the Alba Berlin’s sports director, said Cavanaugh’s versatility, experience playing multiple positions and high energy level will make him an asset to the team.

“He can play both as power forwards and as a center and brings a wide skillset,” Ojeda said in the release. “He can throw, he can act in the zone, is a good passer and plays with a lot of energy.”

Cavanaugh made his National Basketball Association debut with the Atlanta Hawks in July 2017, inking a two-way deal in November 2017 and signing a multi-year contract with the team the following month. He appeared in 39 games for the Hawks and averaged 4.7 points and 3.3 rebounds per game.

In 2018, he signed a two-way deal with the Utah Jazz. He appeared in 11 games for the Jazz, shooting one-for-five from behind the arc and nailing both of his free-throws for nine points on the year.

For the Jazz’s G League affiliate – the Salt Lake City Stars – Cavanaugh started 26 games and shot 83.2 percent from behind the line. He averaged 17.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game during the 2018-19 season.

Cavanaugh transferred to GW from Wake Forest in 2014 and stayed with the team for two seasons. He averaged 17.5 points and eight rebounds per game and shot 83.7 percent from the charity stripe in his 73 starts for the Colonials.

He was named the NIT Most Outstanding Player in his first season with the Colonials and earned an A-10 All Conference Second Team and All-Academic nod the following season.