Men and women’s tennis teams notch All-Academic honors

The 2018-19 men and women’s tennis teams earned Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-Academic Team honors Friday and Monday, respectively, according to press releases.

The women’s team carried on its streak of earning the honor to eight seasons while the men’s squad snagged the award for the first time since 2016. Nine student-athletes – six women and three men – earned individual Scholar-Athlete status from the association.

To earn All-Academic Team honors, all student-athletes must achieve a 3.20 grade point average. For individual Scholar-Athlete status, players must be varsity letter winners, enrolled in their present school for at least two semesters and earn a minimum 3.50 GPA for the academic year.

The Colonials on the women’s side posted a 3.58 team GPA, earning them their eighth consecutive All-Academic Team honor. The squad also received its fourth straight title of GW’s Female Academic Team of the Year at the University’s annual Georgey Awards earlier this year.

Six of the seven women on the women’s squad earned individual Scholar-Athlete status. Sophomores Xenia de Luna and Katarina Marinkovikj, senior Melis Bayraktaroglu and 2019-graduates Sara Grubac, Victoria Kogan and Maria Siopacha notched the qualifying GPA to be recognized.

On the men’s side, the Colonials earned a collective GPA of about 3.23 with eight of the squad’s nine players posting at least a 3.0 GPA last academic year. A third of the team – sophomores Michael Barsky and Ryan Navarro and senior Jakub Behun – recorded GPAs higher than a 3.50 to attain individual honors.

The NCAA also honored the men’s tennis program with an Academic Progress Rate Public Recognition Award for ranking within the top-10 percent of Division I men’s tennis programs. Men’s tennis holds the longest consecutive 1,000 APR streak for GW, maintaining the perfect score since the 2008-09 academic year.

Both programs earned ITA All-Academic Team status in 2016, 2014, 2013 and 2012.