Eleanor Holmes Norton ‘sees good news’ in lack of support for D.C. statehood

A congresswoman representing D.C. views a finding that most Americans oppose D.C. statehood as positive, Roll Call reported Monday.

Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-D.C., said in a statement that she “sees good news” in a recent gallup poll revealing that 64 percent of Americans oppose making D.C. a state. She said the poll is proof that District statehood has become a nationwide issue that requires more education for Americans.

“It reinforces our view that the majority of Americans are still unaware that D.C. residents do not have equal representation in their own national government,” she said in the statement.

She said the Gallup poll did not inform participants that District residents pay the highest federal taxes per capita in the country. Holmes Norton cited a 2005 study that found 84 percent of respondents agree D.C. residents should have voting representation in the House and Senate.

Congress will debate a bill introduced by Holmes Norton this fall that would make the District a state. The bill has more than 200 cosponsors and the backing of presidential candidates like Elizabeth Warren.

“The founders, who went to war because they paid taxes without representation, did not intend for 700,000 taxpaying American citizens in the capital they created to be the only Americans left without a voice in their own national legislature,” Norton wrote.