Dish of the Week: Kin’s Sushi’s GW roll

Courtesy of Kin’s Sushi

Updated: July 20, 2019 at 12:04 p.m.

When you get back to campus this fall, don’t walk through the District House basement without making a pitstop at one of GW’s newest dining vendors – Kin’s Sushi.

The restaurant, which replaced Onolicious Poke earlier this month, is owned by 2018 alumna Khin Ngon, who said she specializes in sushi, poke bowls and dumplings. The set-up of the restaurant is almost identical to Onolicious Poke’s, with an additional digital screen displaying the restaurant’s menu and a bright yellow storefront.

When the restaurant opened on July 15, Ngon said Kin’s Sushi’s opening day sales were almost double the daily average sales of Onolicious Poke. Onolicious Poke came to campus last January.

If you’re looking for a quick bite, Kin’s Sushi offers a selection of appetizers including chicken, shrimp and vegetable dumplings ($4.49), Chinese steamed buns ($3.99) and vegetarian spring rolls ($5.49).

Aiming to provide affordable meals for students, Ngon said she also designed several speciality rolls ($10.49 to $12.99) on her menu that are $3 off if ordered as the “roll of the day.” All specialty rolls, which come with 14 to 20 pieces, are served with a free miso soup during the restaurant’s first month of operations.

Specialty rolls, most named after U.S. presidents, include The Lincoln roll ($12.99) made with salmon, tuna, avocado and fish roe, and The Obama ($10.99) made with salmon, tuna, mango, avocado, sesame seeds and crispy tempura flakes. Ngon said she recommends Tuesday’s roll of the day, The GW – a combination of crab, tuna and salmon rolls topped with tempura flakes and sesame seeds. The meal is priced down to $8.49 on Tuesdays.

Because I went to the shop on a Tuesday, I took Ngon’s advice and ordered The GW. A cluster of eight pieces sat at the center of the to-go container – four salmon and four tuna pieces topped with fish roe to form a symmetrical flower.

The flower was surrounded by a semi-circle of California rolls – five wrapped in salmon and tuna and the remaining five filled with crispy tempura and sesame seeds. The texture of the crunchy tempura and cucumber against the soft crab and avocado produced in a burst of flavor and was enough to serve two people.

If you’re not in the mood for sushi, customers can opt for a poke bowl ($8.99) served with either seafood or vegetables including tuna, shrimp, salmon, carrots, cucumber, avocado and edamame. The teriyaki chicken bowl ($7.99) also stood out on the menu, served with steamed vegetables, sesame seeds and white rice.

For a quick grab-and-go or a meal to enjoy in the District House basement, don’t miss Kin’s Sushi’s affordable and filling bites.

This post was updated to correct the following:
The Hatchet reported that Kin’s Sushi nearly doubled Onolicious Poke’s first month of sales. Kin’s Sushi nearly doubled Onolicious Poke’s average sales on opening day. We regret this error.