Nursing school faculty receive $2.8 million to launch nurse practitioner program

Faculty+in+the+nursing+school+are+donating+to+the+University+at+the+highest+rate+of+all+schools+at+GW%2C+officials+said.+
Faculty in the nursing school are donating to the University at the highest rate of all schools at GW, officials said.

Updated: July 19, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.

A team of nursing and medical school faculty received a $2.8 million grant to launch a training program for nurse practitioner students, according to a nursing school release Thursday.

The Health Resources and Services Administration awarded faculty funding to help The Nurse Practitioner Technology Enhanced Community Health program get off the ground. The training program will teach students how to use telehealth technology – software used to provide health care information and treatment at a distance – to expand access to care in underserved populations in rural and urban communities, according to the release.

Christine Pintz, a professor of nursing, will head the project along with six professors from the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Medical Faculty Associates and School of Nursing. The team will design and implement a curriculum focused on enhancing community health through technology for the initiative’s 64 scholars, according to the release.

“[Nurse practitioners] will be better able to provide high-quality care to patients in underserved communities who might have chronic health issues or lack access to care,” the release states.

This post was updated to clarify the following:
The first sentence of the story originally stated that a team of medical school faculty received a grant. Both nursing and medical school faculty were awarded the grant.