Corcoran’s assistant director of academic affairs chosen as interim head

Kym Rice, the director of Corcoran, said officials do not plan to put any additional Corcoran programs on hiatus.

Updated: August 28, 2019 at 2:13 p.m.

The Corcoran School of the Arts and Design’s assistant director of academic affairs will become the institute’s interim director, according to a University release Monday.

Kym Rice, who teaches museum studies at GW and received a doctoral degree from the University in 2015, will step into her role on Friday. The museum curator and historian previously headed the Museum Studies Program and served as Corcoran’s interim director before Sanjit Sethi was appointed in 2015, the release states.

Sethi announced in April that he would step down from his post to become president of the Minneapolis College of Art and Design.

Ryce said she will continue to foster cross-disciplinary “collaboration and creativity” between the school’s departments while officials search for a permanent director.

“I’m here to keep up the momentum and continue to advance the mission and goals of the Corcoran during the search for a director,” she said in the release. “I feel a great commitment to this institution, and I’m excited to help usher in the Corcoran’s next iteration.”