Newspaper serving the northwest D.C. community publishes first print issue

A local newspaper serving the northwest D.C. area delivered its first print issue Wednesday.

Copies of The Northwest Courier, which began publishing online in April, were delivered to residents in the District’s largest quadrant for the first time last week, Washingtonian reported Thursday. The newspaper’s print debut comes after another local news source in northwest D.C., The Current’s newspapers, filed for bankruptcy and shut down last month.

“We want to have a healthy balance, so that everybody from the Northwest region of D.C. will have a chance to read our content — whether they’re newspaper-first people or online-first people,” Kaleel Weatherly, the editor-in-chief of The Courier, told The DC Line earlier this month.

Weatherly and Brendan Martin, The Courier’s owner and publisher, formerly worked for the now-shuttered Current newspapers, Washingtonian reported.

The Courier’s staff consists of six writers, and the paper will cover topics like government, sports, business and education, according to the publication’s website.

“The goal for us really is to serve the community,” Martin told The DC Line. “We want to provide a platform for them to tell us what they think is important in how we report things.”