Private lacrosse consultant, former Michigan coach to head lacrosse

A lacrosse consultant with decades of Division I head coaching experience was named GW’s incoming head lacrosse coach, director of athletics and recreation Tanya Vogel announced Monday.

Jennifer Ulehla will head the lacrosse program after spending two years as a private lacrosse consultant. She led James Madison to its highest national ranking in program history from 1994 to 2002, served at the helm of Temple University from 2004 to 2006 and built up the University of Michigan’s lacrosse program from scratch between 2011 and 2016.

“I am honored to continue the work and dedication of the coaches and many alums that have come before me,” Ulehla said in the release. “We will work hard with the discipline of champions to build character, confidence and pride throughout our program.

Ulehla began her lacrosse career as a player. She was a two-time All-American selection in her final two campaigns at Maryland. During her five years playing with the U.S. National Lacrosse team, she was a member of the 1993 World Cup Championship squad.

While she led the Dukes, the squad produced a 90-56 record, 13 All-Americans, six NCAA appearances, three Colonial Athletic Association conference championships and two CAA Coach of the Year Awards. Ulehla was inducted into the James Madison Hall of Fame in 2011.

Ulehla also made her mark at the international level, serving as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator of the U.S. National Elite Team. The United States won a championship in 2008 and a gold medal in the 2009 World Cup under her leadership.

Ulehla will inherit a team that went 5-12 last season and a four-year conference best 3-6 in Atlantic 10 play under former head coach Tracy Coyne, who resigned in May after a 27–56 overall record.

All 29 players are set to return for the 2020 season, including standout sophomore midfielder Tori Hampton who led the team in shots on goal and ended her inaugural season tied for a team-leading 30 goals.