Weekend Outlook — Celebrate Pride month at the Capital Pride Parade

Head to the annual pride parade Saturday at 21st and P streets.

Liven up your weekend with some local jazz Friday, followed by an annual parade celebrating LGBTQ pride Saturday. Then head to Underground Comedy at the Wonderland Ballroom to finish off the weekend with laughs.

Friday

D.C. Jazz Festival

In one night, you can watch three different jazz performances held by the nonprofit D.C. Jazz Festival. All-women D.C. jazz orchestra Shannon Gunn and the Bullettes will play at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden at 5 p.m., and The Kent Miller Quartet will follow with a performance at the Anacostia Busboys and Poets at 6 p.m. The Anat Cohen Quartet, which has earned kudos from the New York Times, will wrap up the evening with an 8 p.m. show at The Hamilton. 

National Gallery of Art, Constitution Ave. NW, 5 p.m., free.
Busboys and Poets, 2004 Martin Luther King Jr Ave. SE, 6 p.m., tickets are $20.
The Hamilton, 600 14th St. NW, 8pm, tickets start at $29.75.

Saturday

Capital Pride Parade

The annual Capital Pride Parade invites LGBTQ individuals and allies to celebrate their identities and legal rights. The parade will begin at 4:30 p.m. at 21st and P streets, located near the Dupont Circle Metro stop, and will conclude at the U Street Metro stop. Grand marshals include Earline Budd, a transgender activist and the co-founder of Transgender Empowerment Inc., and Matt Easton, the Brigham Young University valedictorian who came out as gay during his graduation speech. This year’s pride parade also commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots, a series of protests during the 1960s gay liberation movement.

Capital Pride Parade, Dupont Circle Metro Stop, 21st and P St., NW, 4:30 to 8 p.m.

Sunday

Underground Comedy at Wonderland Ballroom

If you’re in the mood for some laughs, check out Underground Comedy at the Wonderland Ballroom. The show features a lineup of both seasoned and amateur stand up comedians from the D.C. area every Sunday in Columbia Heights. The neighborhood spot, which has hosted comedians like Ramy Youssef and Chris Reddis, is two stories high and decorated with retro posters, stickers and street signs.

Wonderland Ballroom, 1101 Kenyon St. NW, 8 p.m., 21+