Bowser establishes commission to reform health care access, distribution

The+D.C.+Council+is+holding+off+on+debating+a+controversial+bill+that+would+expedite+the+construction+of+a+new+tower+to+accommodate+an+extra+220+beds+at+the+GW+Hospital.+
Mayor Muriel Bowser established a commission Monday that seeks to improve access to health care.
The D.C. Council is holding off on debating a controversial bill that would expedite the construction of a new tower to accommodate an extra 220 beds at the GW Hospital.

A new commission created by Mayor Muriel Bowser Monday will develop and issue recommendations to improve health care access at D.C. hospitals.

A 27-member Commission on Healthcare Systems Transformation will seek to increase the health care system’s capacity to treat patients and boost access to care, particularly in communities east of the Anacostia River, according to a release. The group’s formation comes after plans for GW to build a medical facility in Ward 8 stagnated amid tensions over details of the agreement.

The University halted its plans to build an East End hospital in December after a back-and-forth between D.C. councilmembers and community leaders about speeding up the facility’s construction.

“While our city is resource-rich in the kinds of health care we can offer residents, utilization of and access to those resources is not equitable,” Bowser said in the release. “Together, with the support of this commission, we’re going to change that and ensure that Washingtonians in every corner of D.C. are getting the care they need to live healthy, happy lives.”

Kimberly Russo, GW Hospital’s chief executive officer and managing director, will serve as a voting member on the commission, according to the release. Other members include hospital executives, city officials and community leaders.

The commission will present its recommendations to Bowser later this year, the release states.