Cone etches first All-American honor in the record books

File Photo by Aaron Schwartz | Hatchet Photographer
Senior utility player Jenna Cone became the first All-American in softball program history.

Senior utility player Jenna Cone added another accolade to her record-breaking junior season, becoming the first All-American in program history, according to a press release Wednesday.

The award comes on the heels of a decorated season for Cone. She became the first player in program history to earn the Atlantic 10 Player of the Year award and helped lead the Colonials to their first A-10 Conference Championship and postseason berth.

“This was a historic season for our program, and Jenna played a major part in our success,” head coach Shane Winkler said in the release. “She continues to re-write the GW offensive record book and deserves to be recognized as one of the best players in the country.”

Cone is the only player from the A-10 to be selected as an NCAA All-American this season. She was named to the Softball America All-American Third Team as one of two catchers.

Her 2019 campaign showed a strong offensive effort, topping the conference in extra base hits (34), runs batted in (67), on-base percentage (.490) and slugging percentage (.783). Cone’s 20 home runs and 67 RBI broke program records and ranked in the top 20 among all NCAA players this season.

In addition to her two honors, she earned Eastern College Athletic Conference First Team and National Fastpitch Coaches Association All Mid-Atlantic Region Second Team nods. She was included in the All-Championship team after a clutch six-run postseason performance.

Cone is set to return next season in her final campaign as a Colonial.