Metro’s six summer station closures and alternatives, explained

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority fare system will no longer permit riders to complete rides on the bus or subway with a negative balance on SmarTrip cards.

Tuesday was the first business day that Metro riders had to navigate six summerlong blue and yellow line station closures.

Six stations south of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport on the blue and yellow Lines are closed for platform repairs, NBC Washington reported Tuesday. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority officials will keep the Braddock Road, King Street-Old Town, Eisenhower Avenue, Huntington, Van Dorn Street and Franconia-Springfield stations closed until September, NBC Washington reported.

“The platform restoration project is absolutely a safety issue,” Sarah Godfrey, a spokeswoman for the Alexandria Department of Transportation and Environmental Services, told NBC Washington. “This is work that is necessary.”

The closures are part of WMATA’s three-year Platform Improvement Project to renovate 20 outdoor stations.

Riders aiming to reach a station south of the airport will be able to use several bus shuttles to get to their destination. The blue line shuttle will run from the airport to Van Dorn Street, King Street-Old Town and Franconia-Springfield, and the yellow line shuttle will stop at Huntington, Eisenhower Avenue, King Street-Old Town, Braddock Road and Crystal City.

WMATA is also operating three express shuttles from Pentagon Station to Franconia-Springfield, Huntington and Landmark Mall. Commuters can park for free at Franconia-Springfield or Huntington – as well as Van Dorn Street – to access the shuttles.