Health sciences graduates urged to embrace teamwork and lifelong learning

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
Reamer Bushardt, the medical school’s senior associate dean for health sciences, tells graduates to work together to further medical knowledge and help patients.

Graduates of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences’ health sciences programs received their diplomas at an event in Lisner Auditorium Saturday.

Students from more than 25 different programs received associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees at the celebration. After an almost two-hour-long ceremony, Reamer Bushardt, SMHS’ senior associate dean for health sciences, charged graduates to pursue paths that will allow them to continue learning.

Bushardt told graduates that their volume of knowledge has grown “exponentially” during their time at GW. He added that students should work together with others to improve themselves and the world around them.

“That means we have to work together as teams, we have to constantly challenge each other to continue to learn and we have to work together to harness the knowledge that will create the best environment for our patients and their families,” Bushardt said.

Bushardt told the audience that because the American healthcare system continues to evolve, graduates must never stop striving to learn more about their field. He emphasized the need for graduates to continue to challenge themselves.

“Commit today to aggressively pursue lifelong learning in order to stay relevant and competent against rapidly evolving science and practice standards,” Bushardt said.

Bushardt said that in his own life, he has found success by nurturing his curiosity as a means to preserve his commitment to learning. He urged graduates not to “let that fire of curiosity get dim.”

Bushardt told graduates that as they embark on their careers, they should choose leadership positions that allow them to demonstrate all of the values they have attained while attending the University.

“If you embrace courage, integrity, selflessness, empathy, collaboration and reflection, it gives me great hope for the future,” he said. “This is the exact type of leadership the world needs now.”

Like these photos? You can purchase your personal photo from this graduation ceremony online at: www.hatchetphotos.com.