Second transfer announces commitment to men’s basketball

Amir Harris, a 6-foot-6-inch guard from Frederick, Md., has committed to men’s basketball, according to a tweet Saturday.

Harris is the sixth recruit and second transfer to join the program under head coach Jamion Christian in his first year with the team. Ace Stallings announced his transfer into the program last week.

“Coach Jamion Christian is a man that I have known for over five years now,” Harris wrote in the tweet. “We have a very strong relationship and I trust in what he and his staff are building in the nation’s capital.”

Harris spent his freshman season at Nebraska, where he appeared in 23 games and averaged 2.2 points and 2.5 rebounds per game. Harris missed more than a month of the season with mononucleosis and ended the year with an injured meniscus, the Omaha World-Herald reported last week.

Per NCAA transfer rules, Harris is required to sit out next year and will join the squad on the court during the 2020-21 season.

Harris will join a roster with 10 returning pieces. Sophomore guard Terry Nolan Jr., freshman guard Shandon Brown and freshman forward Marcus Littles announced their plans to transfer out of the program after former head coach Maurice Joseph was booted in March.