GW Hospital unveils first in-hospital lactation suites in the District

A woman is suing the GW Hospital for alleged negligence during surgery.
The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission will vote on an agreement with the hospital at a special meeting Thursday that could clear the way for the helipad to be constructed.

The GW Hospital is now the first hospital in D.C. to offer private lactation suites to hospital employees and visitors, according to a GW Hospital press release.

The company Mamava partnered with the GW Hospital to implement small mobile pods with benches and electrical outlets for mothers to breastfeed or use a breast pump, which mothers can locate and unlock using Mamava’s mobile application. The suites opened Thursday, the release states.

“As a direct result of feedback from our employees and physicians, we recognized this need and we are thrilled to now bring this innovative breastfeeding and pumping solution to our valuable care team members,” Kimberly Russo, the chief executive officer and managing director at the GW Hospital, said in the release.

The GW Hospital, Union Station and the D.C. Convention Center are the only three locations in D.C. with Mamava breastfeeding suites.