Cone tabs first A-10 player of the year award in program history

Graeme Sloan | Senior Staff Photographer
Junior utility player Jenna Cone earned Atlantic 10 Softball Player of the Year.

Junior utility player Jenna Cone was honored as Atlantic 10 Softball Player of the Year, becoming the first athlete in GW history to receive the award, according to a press release Tuesday.

In addition to the honor, Cone picked up a spot on the All-Conference First Team for the second time in her tenure with the Colonials. Four additional players, including sophomore utility Sierra Lange and junior utility Jessica Linquist, also received A-10 honors, according to the release.

“It’s special any time you can have the player of the year in your conference, and Jenna Cone has had an amazing season,” head coach Shane Winkler said in the release.

Cone inked her name in the record books for the Colonials this season. She now leads the program with 49 home runs, 183 runs batted in and 375 bases in her three years with the team.

She is also positioned at the top of the leaderboards in Division I softball this season. Cone’s 63 RBI rank her sixth, her 19 home runs tie her for 11th and her .832 slugging percentage brings her to 20th place among all Division I softball players.

She leads the A-10 in RBI, home runs and conference on-base percentage, and her .395 batting average ranks fourth in the conference. She also took a team-leading seven homers against conference foe and boasts a .776 conference slugging percentage.

Her performance this season outpaced her freshman campaign when she racked up 18 bombs and broke singles-season records in runs scored (47), RBI (59), extra-base hits (28), total bases (125), slugging percentage (.822) and on-base percentage (.500).

In addition to Cone, Lange received All-Conference First Team honors as a pitcher. Linquist and sophomore infielder Alessandra Ponce picked up All-Conference Second Team nods, and Linquist added All-Academic honors to the mix.

Freshman catcher Morgan Kummer rounded out the awards for the Colonials with an All-Rookie nod.

“All of our players that were honored and nominated were very deserving, and I’m looking forward to them finishing the season on a highest of notes,” Winkler said in the release.

The No. 3 seeded Colonials are back in action Wednesday against No. 6 seeded Saint Louis in the A-10 Championship. First pitch is slated for 1:30 p.m.