Biden nominates alums to cabinet positions
By Sachini Adikari, Contributing News Editor • May 2, 2024

Men’s basketball to compete in Bahamas for tournament

Men’s basketball will head to the Bahamas from Nov. 22 to 24 for The Islands of The Bahamas Showcase, according to a press release Thursday.

The trip marks the team’s first tournament added to its schedule for the 2019-20 season. The Colonials will play three games over the three-day tournament at Kendal Isaacs National Gymnasium, starting with a contest against the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Head coach Jamion Christian said the tournament will be a learning experience for impending Atlantic 10 Conference play. Christian will enter his first season as head coach this fall after former men’s basketball head coach Maurice Joseph was fired in March.

“At that point, we’re going to have a few games under our belt and an opportunity to really address some of the tough things that we’re going through as a unit,” Christian said.

Seven additional teams will compete in the tournament, including East Carolina, Evansville, Milwaukee, Morgan State, Rice, UMKC and Liberty. Liberty is the only team in the bunch with a winning 2018-19 season record and fresh off reaching the second round of the 2019 NCAA tournament.

“Playing against a field like this on neutral soil gives us the chance to see our team grow,” Christian said in the release. “Within our first year, we’re really excited about building our brand of basketball, and you can’t build it without opportunities like this.”