Best queer night: Black Cat

Black+Cat%E2%80%99s+Queer+Girl+Movie+Night+provides+a+laid-back+option+without+the+looming+pressure+of+alcohol+or+partying.+
Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
Black Cat’s Queer Girl Movie Night provides a laid-back option without the looming pressure of alcohol or partying.

Location: 1811 14th St. NW
Readers’ pick: Black Cat

The Black Cat, a music venue on 14th Street, has gained notoriety for its eclectic lineup of concerts.

But what some concertgoers may not know is that the venue is also a frequent host of Queer Girl Movie Night – a screening of films that feature queer women on screen or behind the camera.

While the District is known for its queer nightlife, the Black Cat’s Queer Girl Movie Night provides a laid-back option without the looming pressure of alcohol or partying. The movie night is also open to all age groups, which makes it a great pick for friend groups that include people who are not 21.

With no entrance fee, the monthly movie screening allows attendees to watch films without having to shell out for pricey tickets at a movie theater.

Past Queer Girl Movie Night screenings at the Black Cat have included a Halloween screening of “All Cheerleaders Die” – a dark comedy where cheerleaders boldly take on football players and the supernatural – and a December “Holigay” screening of “Disobedience,” a drama that follows the reuniting of two childhood friends after a long separation.

While a screenshot of a scene from each month’s film is featured on the Queer Girl Movie Night Facebook event page, the name of the film is not disclosed. Instead, the screenshot and a clever description are used to playfully tease the film’s identity.

Queer Girl Movie Night makes for a great addition to the LGBTQ nightlife in the District with its free admission in a notoriously expensive city while focusing on supporting queer people in the film industry.