Best brunch: The Fainting Goat

The+Fainting+Goat+serves+brunch+until+3+p.m.%2C+allowing+diners+to+opt+for+a+late+brunch+to+skip+wait+times+or+sleep+in+after+a+long+night+out.+
Davie Loria | Photographer
The Fainting Goat serves brunch until 3 p.m., allowing diners to opt for a late brunch to skip wait times or sleep in after a long night out.

Location: 1130 U St. NW
Readers’ pick: The Smith

With an upscale yet cozy environment, unconventional brunch menu and well-crafted cocktails, Fainting Goat stands out from the abundance of brunch spots around the District.

At 11 a.m. sharp on the weekends, people flood through the doors of the restaurant at 14th and U streets, and people can be found inside eating until 3 p.m., which allows diners to opt for a late brunch to skip wait times or sleep in after a long night out. The restaurant embodies an American tavern with exposed brick and warm-toned wooden tables.

The menu includes options like a bagel and lox platter ($17), which has a perfect balance from the crunchy toasted everything bagel to the delicious plump red tomatoes and fresh smoked salmon with a dash of sea salt on top. For something sweeter, you can go for the French toast ($14) made with a thick and fluffy bread before being topped with sweet roasted bananas, pumpkin seeds and a chili maple syrup that adds an extra kick.

While The Fainting Goat’s food is great, you may be more interested in the bottomless brunch, which is $20 per person if you order an entree. It also has a two-hour limit. Drink options include orange, mango or white cranberry juice mimosas.

If you are feeling adventurous or don’t want to pay the $20 price tag, you can pick and choose cocktails like “Cider House Rules” ($12), which includes rum, apple juice, cider and golden falernum, and “I’ll Drink My Breakfast” ($13), which has bacon fat scotch, maple water, orange bitters and angostura.

The Fainting Goat is an escape from the more basic brunch spots in the District, and the restaurant’s twist on traditional brunch fare ensures a newfound appreciation of brunch food.