Thousands of faculty, students utilize new IT maintenance platform in first year

About+a+year+after+its+launch%2C+the+information+technology+maintenance+platform+Digital+Workplace+has+been+utilized+thousands+of+times%2C+officials+said.+
About a year after its launch, the information technology maintenance platform Digital Workplace has been utilized thousands of times, officials said.

Between March 2018 and February 2019, officials said about 13,000 unique users have accessed the platform to submit more than 16,000 maintenance requests and find other information related to setting up and monitoring technology. The platform is an example of the ways in which the department has improved since University President Thomas LeBlanc has prioritized improving the student experience, officials said.

LeBlanc has said students often feel their relationship with the University is “transactional” when they are shuffled between several different departments for answers. Digital Workplace was launched with hopes of consolidating technology help, and officials also created Academic Commons in the fall to combine academic resources into one center in Gelman Library.

Loretta Early, the chief information officer, said the platform has saved students time and cut down on the number of instances when they have stumbled around for answers to IT questions.

“GW students deserve a positive and cohesive user experience,” she said in an email. “Digital Workplace is a great example of GW IT’s commitment to enhance the student experience and ensure we deliver quality services to our GW students.”

Before the platform was implemented, students could only call the office, send an email, visit the IT Support Center or search self-help resources online, she said. Students now more easily search through the self-help information and can track the responses to their requests, she said.

About 60 percent of the people who accessed the platform over the past year and roughly 25 percent of people who submitted requests were students, she said.

Early added that the resource is a part of an “ongoing” innovation process to “modernize” the division and integrate knowledge into a single location to better student services.

“By having this service platform in place, we are well poised for future service and process options that enhance user experiences,” she said in an email.

She declined to say what feedback the division has received from students about the platform. She also declined to say if the platform has cut down on average response times for the IT division.