Officials quietly institute interim GWPD chief

Dean Whitelaw | Hatchet Photographer
Darrell Darnell, the senior associate vice president for safety and security and superintendent of police, has at least temporarily exited his post.

The leader of the GW Police Department at least temporarily exited his position, a University spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday.

Mary Paradis, the assistant chief of police, is currently serving as the interim chief of police, University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said in an email. She added that officials are conducting a review of the Division of Safety and Security.

Csellar declined to confirm whether Darrell Darnell, the senior associate vice president for safety and security and superintendent of police, has been suspended. She did not immediately return a request for comment seeking additional details surrounding Darnell’s departure and the review of the division.

There has been no official University release announcing the leadership switch.

“Interim Chief Paradis has more than 30 years of law enforcement and private sector public safety experience and most recently served as a GWPD assistant chief,” Csellar said. “She will ensure that GWPD continues to provide excellent safety and security services to the GW community.”

The change in command comes just more than a year after GWPD’s top two leaders simultaneously announced their resignations. Darnell took the helm of the police department last spring after officials announced they would not hire a new police chief and would instead reorganize the structure of the department.