LeBlanc offers support, condemns Islamophobia after New Zealand attacks

An+outside+consultant+is+helping+officials+oversee+the+first+review+of+University+President+Thomas+LeBlanc%E2%80%99s+performance+this+spring.+
An outside consultant is helping officials oversee the first review of University President Thomas LeBlanc’s performance this spring.

University President Thomas LeBlanc on Monday condemned Islamophobia and offered condolences to those affected by two terrorist attacks at New Zealand mosques last week.

“We stand in solidarity and mourning with the Muslim community globally and here at GW,” LeBlanc said in a University release Monday. “Like all forms of extremism and hate, Islamophobia has no place in our society.”

Fifty people were killed and another 50 were injured in shootings at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand Friday, BBC reported. The gunman, who has been arrested, live-streamed the massacre on Facebook and released an anti-Muslim manifesto to the public, The Washington Post reported.

LeBlanc added that the GW community should offer “compassion and support” for students, staff and faculty affected by the “horrific” attacks. The Colonial Health Center offers resources for students, and faculty and staff can utilize the Wellbeing Hotline, he said.

The Muslim Students’ Association will also host a reflection event in Kogan Plaza Monday night to help students “process” the attacks and offer support to those affected.