The Hatchet named finalist for three regional awards

The Society of Professional Journalists recognized The Hatchet as a regional finalist in three categories for its annual collegiate journalism competition.

Winners for the Mark of Excellence awards will be announced at the Region 2 conference April 5 to 7 in Ocean City, Md. Region 2 includes collegiate newspapers in D.C., Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and Delaware.

First-place winners will move on to a national competition with winners from 12 other regions.

The Hatchet is a finalist in the following categories:

Breaking news photography: Protesters flock to Capitol Hill to protest Supreme Court nominee by Margaret Wroblewski

[gwh_image id=”1075572″ credit=”MARGARET WROBLEWSKI | HATCHET PHOTOGRAPHER” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”]Freshman Owen Hall stands in the rain after being arrested protesting against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, who has been accused of sexual assault.[/gwh_image]

Sports photography: Men’s basketball takes notes in string of losses to top teams in the nation by Olivia Anderson

[gwh_image id=”1073093″ credit=”Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”]Sophomore guard Justin Mazzulla jumps up to block a shot during a men’s basketball game against Virginia in November.[/gwh_image]

Editorial writing: The GW Hatchet staff editorials by The GW Hatchet Staff Editorial Board