Weekend outlook – Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at events around the District

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
The Shamrock Bar Crawl kicks off at The Front Page before taking participants to bars around Dupont Circle.

If you are in the District this weekend, take the last days of spring break to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Start your weekend off slow at a cooking class before participating in a day full of drinking and an Irish concert before heading back to class.

Friday

St. Patrick’s Day Cooking Class

If the heavy drinking that typically comes paired with the holiday isn’t your thing, get ready for St. Patrick’s Day with an Irish cooking class at Tastemakers, a food hall, commercial kitchen and event space. Learn how to cook up – and then eat – dishes like cheddar and Guinness beer dip, shepherd’s pie and brownies made with Bailey’s Irish Cream. Enjoy snacks upon arrival before enjoying a glass of beer or wine while you make your meal.

Tastemakers, 2800 10th St. NE. 7 to 9 p.m. Tickets are $75.

Saturday

Shamrock Bar Crawl

Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day early on a themed bar crawl through Dupont Circle. Get decked out in green attire and shamrock accessories before hopping to bars like The Madhatter, Sign of the Whale and District Anchor for $2 beers, $3 rail drinks and $4 shots. In addition to drink deals, a ticket to the bar crawl also gets you a refillable shamrock mug, party favors and free photos at the event. Grab your friends and head to the first stop – which is at The Front Page – on Saturday to register for a day full of drinking.

The Front Page, 1333 New Hampshire Ave. NW. Registration from 2 to 5:30 p.m. Tickets start at $30. 21+.

Sunday

“St. Patrick’s Day Celebration” at the Kennedy Center

The holiday falls on a Sunday this year, which may prevent you from spending the entire day partying. But the Kennedy Center is offering a low-key alternative. This Sunday, make your way to the Kennedy Center’s concert hall where The Washington Chorus – led by its Irish conductor – will present “St. Patrick’s Day Celebration.” The show will feature an Irish band, pipe players and fiddlers along with a chorus to sing classic Irish songs.

The Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW. 3 p.m. Tickets start at $31.