SA to delay planned switch to ranked-choice voting system

Donna Armstrong | Contributing Photo Editor

Student Association elections will be decided by a simple majority this month instead of a previously announced ranked-choice voting system.

The SA Senate announced plans to switch to ranked-choice voting last academic year during an overhaul of SA election procedures. But SA President Ashley Le announced at a senate meeting Monday that the Joint Elections Commission, the body that oversees SA elections, does not have the technology to implement the system during this election cycle.

OrgSync, the website students currently use to vote, does not support ranked-choice voting, Le said. But she said the website will merge with the platform Engage this summer, which can accommodate the necessary technology.

She said senators must pass legislation later this month delaying the implementation of ranked-choice voting until the technology is available next academic year.

“If we wait one more year, we will be able to use Engage for ranked-choice voting without having to go through another system that may or may not work,” Le said in an interview.

Senators approved several allocations for student organizations but did not pass legislation during Monday’s meeting, which took place on the Mount Vernon Campus.

The senate greenlighted a $13,000 allotment to the GW College Republicans to host former Rep. Mia Love, R-Utah, at an event this semester. Senators also allocated $5,600 for GW Students for Indigenous and Native American Rights to host a film screening of the documentary “Warrior Women” and panel discussion at the National Museum of the American Indian this semester.