Staycation options for every type of spring break without leaving the District

The+Line+Hotel+offers+24-hour+room+service+from+the+lobby+restaurant+Brothers+and+Sisters+and+in-room+cocktail+making.+
The Line Hotel offers 24-hour room service from the lobby restaurant Brothers and Sisters and in-room cocktail making.

You don’t have to travel far from the District to have a memorable spring break.

Students often cannot take advantage of all that D.C. has to offer because of their hectic schedules, but spring break is the perfect excuse to have a staycation and explore your own city.

From treating yourself to a relaxing spa treatment to eating at some of D.C.’s best restaurants, check out these options for students staying in D.C. over spring break:

A luxurious stay-in staycation

If you want a relaxing spring break without leaving the comfort of your home, you can turn it up a notch and stay at The Line Hotel, located in Adams Morgan at 1770 Euclid St. NW.

While renting a room is a little pricey at about more than $200 a night, you can split the room with friends to make the stay more affordable. With 24-hour room service from the lobby restaurant Brothers and Sisters and in-room cocktail making, you won’t even have to leave the comfort of your room during this luxurious spring break staycation.

The Line Hotel is in one of D.C.’s most happening neighborhoods so you’ll be in close proximity to popular bars. But if you want to make this week off all about rest, you can stay in and explore the hotel’s three restaurants, two bars and coffee shop.

An adventurous across-town staycation

With extra free time on your hands, you can make the trek to the opposite corner of the District and explore a new neighborhood by the Southeast waterfront during spring break.

The hotel options in Navy Yard are nothing special, but you can stay at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel – located at 140 L St. SE – and be in a central location for about $130 a night.

Just a short walk from the hotel is the Trapeze School New York at 1299 New Jersey Ave. SE, where you can take a leap and try the flying trapeze. For about $50, the school offers about three beginner flying trapeze classes each day.

After an adventurous class, you can continue trying new things at Steadfast Supply – an artistic space that hosts pop-up galleries, book signings and DIY workshops – located at 301 Tingey St. SE. Over spring break, the venue will host various workshops like a mobile photography class ($35), which will teach participants about the best practices for taking phone pictures and which apps to edit with.

A staycation away from the city

If you want to use your spring break to get away from the city for a while, stay in the DMV area and hop on the Metro and travel to Alexandria, Va.

The newly renovated Kimpton Lorien Hotel and Spa is a boutique hotel located near Old Town Alexandria at 1600 King St. For about $172 a night, you can stay in one of the hotel’s sleek rooms and take advantage of the in-house spa offerings. If you bring two or more friends, you can snag 20 percent off spa treatments like a 50-minute rose quartz massage ($125) or a 25-minute instant glow facial ($65) with cleansing and moisturizing.

After a relaxing day, you’ll be ready to hit the pavement and can delve into Alexandria’s food scene on a D.C. Metro Food Tour. For $65, you will take a three-hour walking tour with food and drinks provided along the way.

D.C. has plenty of museums, but if you’ve racked up visits to all the Smithsonians, you can head to the Torpedo Factory Art Center – located at 105 N. Union St. – to enjoy exhibits by local artists.

[gwh_image id=”1082027″ credit=”Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”]Just a 10-minute walk from campus, the Heurich House Museum – also known as the Brewmaster’s Castle – is a mansion in Dupont Circle that was built in the late 1890s by German immigrant and brewer Christian Heurich. [/gwh_image]

A true staycation

While staying at a hotel is a way to make your vacation feel more real, you can still have a staycation while remaining in your residence hall or apartment.

Be a tourist in your own city and sign up for a City Segway Tour. The company is steps from campus and offers different ways to explore the District on Segways and bikes. You may struggle to find an excuse to do this on a normal week or be embarrassed at the thought of rolling by Thurston Hall on a Segway, but when students desert campus, you can learn more about your home on a Segway tour ($75) or view the monuments at night on a night bike tour ($44).

The party scene may slow down for spring break as students spread across the country to visit home or go on vacations, but if you stay in the District, you can still have a few brews. Just a 10-minute walk from campus, the Heurich House Museum – also known as the Brewmaster’s Castle – is a mansion in Dupont Circle that was built in the late 1890s by German immigrant and brewer Christian Heurich. Visitors can take an hourlong guided brewmaster tour for $30 and sample three local craft beers in the former brewmaster’s home after the tour.