Indoor track and field sets pair of program records at A-10 Championship

Senior+Andrew+Weber+set+a+new+program+record+in+the+5%2C000-meter+run+with+a+time+of+15%3A05.41.+
Senior Andrew Weber set a new program record in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 15:05.41.

Men’s and women’s indoor track and field set two program records at the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track Championships in Fairfax, Va. over the weekend.

With a small roster, the Colonials competed in select track events and did not enter competition for any field events. Both teams came in last at the meet overall, but four Colonials still walked away with new personal records.

The VCU women’s squad talled 136 points to win the women’s side, while GW notched just two points and finished last among 13 teams – up from the team’s one-point showing last year.

On the men’s side, host George Mason led the way with 173 points while the Colonials garnered one point courtesy of senior Andrew Weber’s eighth-place finish in the 5,000-meter run, which he completed in 15:05.41 – a new program record.

Last season, the Colonials finished with 36 points on the men’s side.

Head coach Terry Weir said competition over the weekend was “tough” because some of the team’s scorers had to redshirt the season.

“With the middle distance and distance, we know we can score those types of points,” Weir said. “It’s just really getting the depth on the rosters that we need to do that.”

The Colonials kicked off competition with the 5,000-meter race Saturday. Weber competed alongside senior Conner James, who placed 18th in the 5,000-meter race with a time of 15:24.65.

“I would say the 5K was the high point, scoring that point for the boys,” Weber said. “Last year we did a lot better and we’ve been suffering from injuries and stuff but being able to bring a point back to GW and for the first time scoring indoors in a conference meet was a great accomplishment, especially being my senior year.”

The distance medley relays were a target for Weir heading into the weekend and the women’s team, led by seniors Halley Brown and Madison Yerke, placed eighth.

The group finished in 12:08.64, beating Dayton by 0.21 seconds to claim the team’s solitary point of the day Saturday.

“We had a way better meet on the second day than on the first day,” Weir said. “I just didn’t like how our intensity level wasn’t up high enough and we were very, very flat.”

In the men’s mile, freshman Isaiah Robyne finished in 15th place, points of a second ahead of sophomore teammate Ryan Doorhy. Robyne completed the mile in 4:28.91 while Doorhy was just behind, finishing in 4:29.07.

On the women’s side, Brown finished in 13th with a time of 5:07.75 and sophomore Margaret Coogan placed 18th in 5:14.11.

James and Weber both competed in the men’s 3,000-meter final, which was won last year by then-senior Carter Day. Weber placed 20th with an 8:48.84 split while James finished 24th overall with a time of 8:54.92.

“I think Andy Weber had a great weekend, he ran really tough in kind of a grinding men’s 5,000, he came back and doubled today in the 3K,” Weir said. “Him and Connor James, both seniors, I thought had really good meets on the men’s side.”

The women’s 3,000-meter final was contested by senior Kelli Stetson and sophomore Olivia Horgan. Both settled into the mid-rear of the runners as the pack spread out. With three laps remaining, the field was stretched thin and Stetson found herself near the back while Horgan hung in the middle position.

Stetson ultimately finished 31st in the field, timing in at 10:50.91 while Horgan’s 10:39.56 was good for 26th place and a personal record.

The women’s 4×800 final was the last event the Colonials took part in. Brown started with the baton and ran in the middle of the field before passing off to Yerke. Coogan took over after her and passed on to fellow sophomore Brittany Wilkinson, who finished in eighth place with a time of 9:24.73, setting a new program record and earning GW’s final point of the weekend.

“It’s very crazy for me because my freshman year I didn’t run at A-10s,” Brown said. “I think to come my senior year and to have two school records is really just this great arc.”

The Colonials will now start preparing for the outdoor season, which begins at the Penn Challenge March 23.