GW closed Wednesday ahead of projected winter storm

GW will be closed Wednesday ahead of expected snowfall.

Updated: Feb. 19, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.

Students will get their second snow day of the season Wednesday.

The University will be closed Wednesday ahead of inclement weather predicted in the D.C. region, according to a campus advisory issued at 3:09 p.m.

All University-sponsored classes, offices, events and activities will be canceled. A highly-publicized event with historian Ron Chernow is canceled and is rescheduled for March 27. Other events held on campus will be canceled at the discretion of event organizers, according to the alert.

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for the D.C. region that will remain in effect from 1 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday. The advisory predicts that three to seven inches of snow and up to one-tenth of an inch of ice could coat the District.

Updates to transportation, building hours, sports contests and other services will be posted on the campus advisory website.

GW is the first university in the D.C. region to cancel classes Wednesday, according to WTOP.

The first day of the semester was canceled after snow covered D.C. on Jan. 14.

Afternoon classes were canceled on Jan. 29 ahead of expected snowfall and GW opened late the next day after snow and rain hit the D.C. region. The University also had a delayed start Feb. 10 due to inclement weather.

This post was updated to reflect the following clarification:
A previous version of this article reported that an event with Ron Chernow slated for Wednesday was canceled, but it will be postponed.