Weekend outlook – Catch an up-and-coming artist at 9:30 Club

Feminist+artist+King+Princess+will+perform+at+9%3A30+Club+this+Sunday.+
Feminist artist King Princess will perform at 9:30 Club this Sunday.

Syllabus week is over and now that we are back in the swing of things, you may need to de-stress from a week of readings and lectures. Whether you want to laugh, watch or listen, this weekend has plenty of arts events around the District.

Friday

NYC Comedy Invades D.C.

New York comedians Jordan and Bret Raybould will take the stage at the Town Tavern this weekend to incorporate some new jokes to the District’s comedy scene. While Town Tavern features monthly showcases of comedic talent, this Friday is exclusively for out-of-towners. As creators of the YouTube channel “The Raybould Brothers,” these two funny men work to give the audience a high-quality comedy club experience without the high-quality comedy club prices. The show, which lasts two hours, includes admission to a DJ-ed after party and a free beer when you buy a ticket.

Town Tavern, 2323 18th St. NW. Doors at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $20.

Saturday

Monster Jam at Capital One Arena

If you miss getting behind the wheel of your car back home from years of opting for the Metro to avoid the crowded streets of D.C., Monster Jam will allow you to appreciate vehicles without the burden of parking and traffic. The live motorsport event features gigantic trucks in a contest of endurance, tricks and skill. Drivers operate six-ton custom trucks and compete in contests like timed races, two-wheel challenges and freestyle stunts. Truck enthusiasts can invest in a Pit Pass, which will grant you early access to the Monster Jam as well as up-close interactions with the trucks and drivers in the arena.

Capital One Arena, 601 F St. NW. 1 or 7 p.m. Tickets are $25.

Sunday

King Princess at 9:30 Club

Feminist artist King Princess will perform at 9:30 Club this Sunday. As a 20-year-old singer, King Princess is an up-and-comer in pop with reflective lyrics and inspiration drawn from artists like Led Zeppelin and Jack White. Her self-produced debut EP “Make My Bed” delves into themes of her experience being queer with a focus on sexual freedom. King Princess will likely play hits from her EPs like “Talia” and “1950,” which received buzz after Harry Styles tweeted lyrics from the tracks. For an empowering show, grab your friends and drop by 9:30 Club to see King Princess before she becomes a household name.

9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets start at $66.