Students create GW’s only stand-up comedy organization

GW+Laughs+is+the+University%E2%80%99s+first+stand-up+comedy+group+and+was+registered+with+the+Center+for+Student+Engagement+late+last+semester.+
GW Laughs is the University’s first stand-up comedy group and was registered with the Center for Student Engagement late last semester.

Students interested in stand-up comedy will now have a group on campus to practice and perform with.

GW Laughs is the University’s only stand-up comedy group and was registered with the Center for Student Engagement late last semester. The group, which will start this semester, plans to perform original sets for audiences at their own shows and for other student organizations like sorority philanthropic events.

Madeline Sherbet, a sophomore majoring in political science, said she decided to start the group because she found a lack of nonpolitical or career-oriented student organizations on campus.

“We don’t have a lot of organizations that are just for fun, which I think we definitely need given the stress culture that we have on campus,” Sherbet said.

Sherbet, who has always been a “theatrical” storyteller, said she has never performed stand-up, but frequently shares humorous stories from her childhood with her friends.

Sophomore Sam Indelicato, a founding member of the organization who serves as treasurer, said the GW Laughs’ goal is to bring people together, which is necessary on a campus like GW’s.

“We’re on a campus with a dichotomy of political backgrounds where people don’t always get to agree or make fun of each other or themselves in a friendly context,” Indelicato said. “This will hopefully bring a forum for that because I don’t think there’s another org that does what we do.”

Indelicato said GW Laughs can provide an outlet for people to express themselves and relieve stress during tumultuous political times – or even during final exams and midterms.

“This is going to be an inclusive organization – that’s the goal of it,” Indelicato said. “A forum for all to just laugh. Sometimes you don’t do enough laughing.”

GW Laughs will recruit members at the spring student organization fair, but will also look for members to join year-round. Leading up to its first performance, which has not yet been announced, the organization plans to host several workshops and rehearsals.

The organization currently has four student performers, including Sherbet. Sherbet said because each of the comics have different styles, it will be easier to entertain a broad audience.

Sherbet said even if students don’t want to stand in the spotlight alone, they can find a place in GW Laughs. The organization will involve students in roles like writing, fundraising and stage managing as well.

“I thought it might be helpful for me personally to have a creative outlet and thought it would also be helpful for other students, whether they are performing or writing or just watching our shows,” Sherbet said.

Grace Poillucci, a sophomore majoring in civil engineering and the fundraising chair of GW Laughs, was recruited by Sherbet to be on the executive board of the organization. Although she won’t be doing stand-up herself, Poillucci said she is excited to support the comics.

“It’s something I personally really enjoy, and the people who are performing, I know really well,” Poillucci said. “They are great at what they do and I’m looking forward to supporting them.”