Woman sues GW Hospital after staffers allegedly assault her

Three researchers in the medical school released a study last month which found that daily users of e-cigarettes are nearly twice as likely to have a heart attack than those who don’t use them at all.

A woman is suing the GW Hospital for $10 million after a doctor and a hospital staff member allegedly assaulted her in June 2017.

In a five-page complaint filed in the D.C. Superior Court late last month, Amber Gross-Gray, a D.C. resident, alleges that two unnamed hospital staffers – referred to as “John Doe Doctor” and “John Doe Security Staff” – assaulted her “savagely, without reasonable provocation” and injured her. She is suing the hospital on four counts of assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, failure to train/supervise and negligence.

Gross-Gray, represented by an attorney from the Maryland-based Humana Law Firm, is asking for $5 million in compensatory damages and another $5 million in punitive damages.

The lawsuit does not describe the injuries Gross-Gray endured after the alleged assault. She claims that the two staffers “forcefully slammed” her onto the floor after she requested a blanket.

“Defendants’ conduct was extreme, outrageous and contrary to basic concepts of human decency,” the suit states. “Defendants’ conduct was malicious, willful and intended to provoke extreme emotional distress in the plaintiff.”

She alleges that the hospital failed to properly train the employees and did not adhere to a “reasonable standard of care.”

Gross-Gray’s attorney and a spokeswoman for GW Hospital did not immediately return requests for comment.