Weekend outlook – Catch an alumnus take the stage at Songbyrd Music House

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
Alumnus Rob Stokes will perform at Songbyrd Music House in Adams Morgan Friday night.

Set the tone for 2019 on the first weekend of the new year by attending events around the District perfect for getting you started on your New Year’s resolution.

Friday

Rob Stokes at Songbyrd Music House

If you want to kick off the new year exploring new music venues, head to Adams Morgan. Alumnus Rob Stokes will fill this tiny venue with indie jams when he performs at Songbyrd Music House Friday night. The alternative artist got his start in an acid-jazz group in Pittsburgh and hosted DIY shows while living in Foggy Bottom during college. Stokes will likely play tunes from his first album, “Live at the Heartbreak Hotel,” which was released in April. Bottled up – a local rock group – and psychedelic pop band North by North will also take the stage earlier in the night.

Songbyrd Music House, 2475 18th St. NW. Doors at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10.

Saturday

LGBTQ Dance Party at 9:30 Club

Kick off the new year dancing your 2018 worries away at one of the District’s most iconic music venues. The 9:30 Club will host “Bent: A New LGBTQ Dance Party” Saturday night. Attendees of the party will dance the night away to DJ Lemz, Keenanorr and The Barber Streisand while being entertained by famed D.C. drag queens Donna Slash and Bombalicious Eklaver. The night is sure to be a good way to kick off 2019 as you dance among some of the best LGBTQ entertainers in the District.

9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors at 10 p.m. Tickets are $15.

Sunday

White House 10K Running Tour

If you are looking to get into a fitness routine in the new year, join City Running Tours on its guided 10K running tour around some of the District’s landmarks. After meeting the guide at Lafayette Square, participants will run past monuments like the White House, Capitol Building and monuments on the National Mall. Guides of the running tour will also provide historical anecdotes about the history of monuments, making it a perfect way to get educated while starting the new year off on the right foot.

Lafayette Square, Pennsylvania Avenue and 16th Street NW. 8:30 a.m. Registration fee is $45.