Year in review: Top photos of 2018

Media Credit: Hadley Chittum | Hatchet Photographer

Freshman Jillian Kislow breaks down in tears at a vigil in Kogan Plaza to remember the victims of a shooting in Parkland, Fla. in February.

Looking back at the year, some headlines are memorable – but a picture says a thousand words.

As 2018 comes to an end, take a look back at pivotal moments The Hatchet captured:

Sam Hardgrove | Assistant Photo Editor

From left: Sen. Ojani Walthrust, ESIA-U, Black Student Union President Freddy Ryle and Malcolm Elashari-Rashed, the polemarch of the Kappa Chi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., embrace during the public comment period at a Student Association meeting about a racist Snapchat post depicting two sorority members in February.

Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor

Natalie Moreno, a freshman at H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program in Arlington, lies in silence in the grass in front of the Capitol Building for about 17 minutes in remembrance of the victims of the Parkland school shooting in February.

Madeleine Cook | Senior Staff Photographer

A member of GW’s Young America’s Foundation inserts crosses into the grass of Kogan Plaza during the group’s annual “Cemetery of the Innocents” protest in March.

Sam Frey | Hatchet Photographer

With about eight minutes left in GW’s final game of the season against Saint Louis in March, senior guard Yuta Watanabe went down with an ankle injury and never returned to the game.

Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor

Ashley Le, the former vice president for public affairs, celebrates with her supporters after winning the Student Association presidency in March.

Donna Armstrong | Contributing Photo Editor

Sophomore Erica Jung sits among supporters on the fourth floor of the Marvin Center to show their frustration with a canceled Student Association Senate meeting about a pro-Palestinian divestment resolution.

Lillian Bautista | Staff Photographer

Then-junior Joe Vogel, a former SA senator, told senators that they let Jewish students down after failing to censure Brady Forrest, a candidate for executive vice president accused of anti-Semitism.

After the SA Senate approved a pro-Palestinian divestment resolution in April, Eden Vitoff, a former senator and a sponsor of the legislation, cried in celebration.

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor

A man hangs off a street sign pole at the Capital Pride Parade in June.

Fans celebrate after watching game five of the Stanley Cup Finals on the jumbotrons outside of Capital One Arena over the summer. The Washington Capitals would go on to win this Stanley Cup.

Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor

Jason Kessler, the organizer of the “Unite the Right 2” rally, speaks to a small group of supporters and the media at the white nationalist rally in August.

Shane, a counterprotester and D.C. resident who declined to give his last name, raises his middle finger at “Unite the Right 2” protesters in August.

MARGARET WROBLEWSKI | HATCHET PHOTOGRAPHER

Freshman Owen Hall stands in the rain after being arrested while protesting Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh in October.

Eric Lee | Hatchet Photographer

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., speaks at a protest in front of the Supreme Court before the full Senate vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination.

Supporters of Kavanaugh’s nomination rally outside of the Hart Senate Office Building before Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony began.

Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor

Senior defender Alexy Boehm celebrates his first career goal at a game against La Salle in late October.

Dean Whitelaw | Hatchet Photographer

A hearse carrying former President George H. W. Bush travels past the National World War II Memorial in November.