Woman sues GW Hospital for allegedly forcing her to leave property

A+woman+is+suing+the+GW+Hospital+and+GW+Medical+Faculty+Associates+for+malpractice.+
A woman is suing the GW Hospital and GW Medical Faculty Associates for malpractice.

A woman is suing the GW Hospital for allegedly wrongfully barring her from the property earlier this month.

Dianna Combs, a D.C. resident, filed a one-page complaint in the D.C. Superior Court Wednesday claiming that she was forced to leave the hospital Dec. 9 and was wrongfully banned for five years. She alleges that the incident was the second time staff have forced her to leave the hospital “to jeopardize my safety with no regard for life, health, safety and welfare.”

Combs, representing herself, is asking for $5 million in damages.

Combs alleges that she entered the GW Hospital just after midnight seeking treatment for an unnamed condition. She then decided to go to another unnamed hospital “because of my prognosis” and was allegedly escorted out of the waiting room while she waited for a ride, the suit states.

“Because of the lack of their knowledge of high regards for integrity of life the hospital carries, they barred me from coming on to the property for five years,” she said in the complaint.

In an interview Saturday, Combs said hospital staff members asked her to move to different areas of the waiting room before eventually asking her to leave.

“They put me out like it was a bar, not an emergency room,” she said.

Combs said she has received medical care at GW Hospital for “the majority” of her youth and adulthood, including for the birth of her child in 1991, but has been thrown out twice this year.

Over the summer, Combs went to the hospital seeking an HIV test, but staffers could not find a vein to take her blood, she said. She claims that a nurse approached her in the waiting room after the failed attempts and demanded that she leave.

A spokeswoman for GW Hospital did not return a request for comment.