YAF event hosting right-wing political commentator sold out in 10 minutes

Photo by Gage Skidmore used under the Creative Commons License.

Tickets to see conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro on campus next month sold out in 10 minutes, according to the event’s Facebook page.

GW’s chapter of Young America’s Foundation will host Shapiro in Dorothy Betts Marvin Theatre Jan. 17 to discuss freedom of speech and “stimulate intellectual diversity on GW’s liberal campus,” according to the page. The organization posted Friday that “due to an overwhelming response,” tickets are no longer available and individuals who did not sign up to attend can stand by on the night of the event in case tickets become available.

YAF received $11,000 in Student Association funding last month for the event. The student organization distributed tickets for free and publicized the event on social media.

Shapiro is the editor in chief of DailyWire, a conservative online publication, and the host of the podcast “The Ben Shapiro Show.” Shapiro partnered with the YAF national organization for a college speaking tour this fall and visited six schools including the University of Pittsburgh and Ohio State University.

Gonzaga University banned Shapiro from visiting its campus last month after he was invited by two student organizations to speak in the spring. Officials at Gonzaga said the request was denied because they were concerned about “safety and security” and believed that the speech may violate the university’s standards of conduct, The Gonzaga Bulletin reported.

Last academic year, YAF brought conservative speakers to campus like former senator and presidential candidate Rick Santorum, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky. and Deroy Murdock, an editor at the National Review and contributor to Fox News.