Weekend outlook – Pay tribute to two famed composers at the National Gallery of Art

Graeme Sloan | Contributing Photo Editor
The National Gallery of Art will host a trio of musicians for a concert honoring two famed 30th century composers.

If you plan to stay in the District for the holidays, start your Christmas week off right on an artistic tour through D.C. with opportunities to witness classic concerts and support local artists.

Friday

Snail Mail at 9:30 Club

Unwind with a concert at 9:30 club Friday night where a student will take the stage. Snail Mail, which includes junior Ray Brown, is defined by its teenage indie-rock sound. The group will likely perform songs off their album Lush, which was released in June and talks about the emotional hardships of growing up. Fans and newcomers alike will be able to jam out to the hits from the album like “Pristine” and “Heat Wave” and older tunes like “Thinning” and “Static Buzz.”

9:30 Club, 815 V St. NW. Doors at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $58.

Saturday

ArtRave’s Special Christmas Extravaganza

If you need some last-minute Christmas presents, drop by ArtRave’s last show of the year. Dozens of local painters, sculptors and fashion designers will congregate at Dupont Circle to show and sell their crafts. This weekend’s show will feature holiday-themed art and as the last gathering of the season, the festival will include the most artists and performers of the year. If you are looking for a unique present, ArtRave is the perfect place to find something for a Secret Santa or White Elephant gift swap.

Rhode Island Avenue and Seventh Street NW. Noon to 8 p.m. Free.

Sunday

Daniel Schlosberg with Jessica Aszodi and Russell Rolen at the National Gallery of Art

For a sophisticated end to your weekend, head to the National Gallery of Art. Pianist Daniel Schlosberg will join forces with vocalist Jessica Aszodi and Russell Rolen in a tribute to early 20th century composers Kurt Weill and Francis Poulenc. Schlosberg, who performed with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and at embassies around D.C., is a celebrated musician capable of the complex technique involved in the famed composers’ work. Both Weill and Poulenc intended their music to have a social impact, so Schlosberg, Aszodi and Rolen are sure to perform a moving tribute.

National Gallery of Art, Sixth Street and Constitution Avenue NW. 3:30 p.m. Free.