Excursions and other gifts you can’t wrap this holiday season

Art+Jamz+%E2%80%9CPaint+and+Sip+Date+Nights%E2%80%9D+at+1728+Connecticut+Ave.+NW+allow+couples+and+friends+to+embrace+their+creativity%2C+with+the+help+of+the+studio%E2%80%99s+wide+array+of+cocktail+options.+
Art Jamz’ “Paint and Sip Date Nights” at 1728 Connecticut Ave. NW allow couples and friends to embrace their creativity, with the help of the studio’s wide array of cocktail options.

The holiday season may leave you stumped on what to give the important people in your life.

But not all great gifts have to be wrapped up with a bow. Sometimes the most meaningful gift means spending time with the recipient. These unwrappable gifts will ensure that all your friends – from the foodie to the fitness guru – know you care this holiday season.

For the fitness guru:
If SoulCycle and yoga classes are no longer cutting it for your favorite fitness fanatic, consider giving them an opportunity to spice up their workout routine together. Challenge your flexibility with a pole dancing class at Pole Pressure studio in Logan Circle for $35. Classes are offered between 5 and 10 p.m. on weekdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Sundays. The fitness studio at 1322 14th St. NW also offers aerial yoga classes – a type of yoga that combines dance and pilates with the use of a hoop, silk and hammock – that will reinvent how you have always understood the relaxing workout.

For an excursion that takes you out of the fitness studio, try an adventure outside of D.C. For just the cost of travel – with Car2Go costing 41 cents for a smart car and 47 center for a Mercedes per mile – take a friend on a hike outside D.C. at Windy Run Park in Arlington, Va., just a 20-minute drive from campus. For even more of an escape about 30 miles from GW, try Prince William Forest Park in Triangle, Va., which features 37 miles of trails. If you still have some spare GWorld, you can make the trip more of a gift by heading to Starbucks to pick up a hot cocoa or two and some pastries for the ride.

For the foodie:
Cooking classes are opportunities for your foodie roomie to hone their cooking skills, but often these classes can cost upwards of $90. For as low as $39 per person, CocuSocial offers more affordable cooking classes around the DMV. Learn to make the perfect cocktail, pizza or french macarons with your friend right by your side.

If you can cook and your friend has grown weary of the campus food options, treat them to their favorite home-cooked meal or dessert, courtesy of your residence hall kitchen. Before cooking, take a peek at what chefs your friend follows on Instagram and doctor up one of their recipes. The dinner together, plus a bag of leftovers for them to take home, will make the perfect gift.

For the artsy friend:
Step outside the box this holiday season and try one of several do-it-yourself painting sessions at Art Jamz in Dupont Circle. “Paint and Sip Date Nights” found at 1728 Connecticut Ave. NW allow couples and friends to embrace their creativity, with the help of the studio’s wide array of cocktail options. Classes range from $25 to $50 depending on the type of canvas you choose and how much you choose to drink. If your creative juices are flowing, opt for a freestyle session. Otherwise, sign up for a guided art class where an instructor will guide you and a friend to paint something specific or in a distinct style.

If your friend prefers to admire art rather than create it, ARTECHOUSE at 1238 Maryland Ave. SW has innovative, digital art exhibits that tower over viewers. Tickets are $15 each for adults, and its latest exhibition “New Nature” – which features a “virtual terrarium” of insects, plants, landscapes and more – concludes in January.

For the friend who needs to let loose:
We all have a friend who is worn out by the semester’s end. Treat them to a night of fun at one of the “Dinner N’ Drag” nights at Shaw’s Tavern. The bar at 520 Florida Ave. NW hosts weekly drag dinners every Sunday night featuring live performances, half price bottles of wine and different dinner specials each week. Make a reservation, wrap up a stack of $1 bills to tip and you will have the perfect gift for your stressed out friend.

You can also find plenty of ways to channel the kid in you and forget finals at one of the arcade bars around the District. While the nearest Dave and Buster’s is within walking distance of the Silver Spring Metro stop, you can also opt to pay for your friends’ coins at one of the more local game bars in town, like Player’s Club at 1400 14th St. NW, which has pool tables and vintage arcade sets, or The Eleanor at 100 Florida Ave. NE, which offers classic game cabinets along with mini bowling lanes.