GW partners with national professional development organization

The University now offers faculty and graduate students free access to online training resources and webinars to further their professional development.

Officials announced at a Faculty Senate meeting earlier this month that GW became a member of the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity last month. The organization provides resources like expert webinars, mentoring services and discussion forums to help faculty and graduate and postdoctoral students make career changes, officials said.

“Many of our faculty have been asking us to do this to take advantage of the resources like webinars, workshops, writing and assistance on all sorts of things,” Provost Forrest Maltzman said at the Faculty Senate meeting. “I want to make sure faculty know that resource is available.”

Christopher Bracey, the vice provost of faculty affairs, said GW joined the center last month to allow professors and graduate students to access the organization’s resources for free.

“The University became a member after hearing feedback from faculty asking for additional support towards their professional development,” Bracey said in an email.

He said several faculty members worked with the organization before coming to GW and recommended the center to the Office of Faculty Affairs and the Office for Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement.

“The NCFDD Membership is an important addition to the full range of resources that GW currently offers to promote faculty success,” Bracey said. “We hope that faculty, postdocs and graduate students will find the resources useful as they grow in their careers as both researchers and experienced teachers.”

Allison Van Buren, a spokeswoman for the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity, said the organization also provides universities with either individual or institutional on-campus workshops and 12-week boot camps.

“We’re glad to have George Washington University as an institutional member, and we look forward to serving folks on campus,” she said.