Second Amazon headquarters to open outside D.C.

A second Amazon headquarters will open up less than three miles outside the District.

Amazon announced Tuesday that it will open another headquarters in Arlington County, Va., creating more than 25,000 jobs in the D.C. area. The new Virginia headquarters will be located near Reagan National Airport in National Landing, which is located in Crystal City, and is accessible by Metro, according to an Amazon press release.

“We are proud that Amazon has selected National Landing for a major new headquarters,” Arlington County board chair Katie Cristol said in the release. “This is, above all, a validation of our community’s commitment to sustainability, transit-oriented development, affordable housing and diversity.

She added that the county is an “attractive business location” because of its close location to D.C.

The company also tapped the Long Island neighborhood of Queens, N.Y. for a third headquarters, the release states.

Amazon will invest about $2.5 billion in its new Virginia location and will have 4 million square feet of office space with “the opportunity” to grow to 8 million square feet. The investment will produce an estimated $3.2 billion in tax revenue over the next two decades, according to the release.

The company originally announced plans to create a second headquarters in North America in September 2017 and requested proposals from cities hoping to house the new campus. Mayor Muriel Bowser submitted a bid last fall for D.C. to serve as Amazon’s newest hub, touting D.C.’s large college student population.