Women’s cross country earns program record finish at NCAA regional competition

The+womens+cross+country+team+embraces+after+the+Atlantic+10+Championship+last+month.+
The women’s cross country team embraces after the Atlantic 10 Championship last month.

Women’s cross country placed 14th out of 30 teams at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional competition Friday to end the 2018 season.

The finish is the best in program history for the Colonials, who placed 16th out of 28 teams last season. The squad clocked an average time of 22:46.0, less than two minutes behind the average time of first-place finisher Villanova.

Men’s cross country did not compete as a team, but entered three individuals – sophomore Jackson Cronin, senior Andrew Weber and senior Connor James – in the race.

Junior Suzanne Dannheim was the top finisher for GW on the women’s side, coming in 23rd place with a time of 21:44.9.

Two other Colonials – senior Halley Brown and sophomore Margaret Coogan – finished in the top 100 runners out of 205 that competed. Brown and Coogan clocked in at 22:46.1 and 22:52.9, respectively.

Cronin finished on top out of the three GW men that competed, placing 36th out of the 169 runners that competed on the men’s side. He finished with a time of 32:11.9, a personal record.

Weber also placed in the top 50, taking 47th place with a time of 32:32.7. In his first time running the 10-kilometer race, James was the final Colonial to cross the finish line in 109th place at 33:41.1.