The Hatchet earns two national journalism awards

The Associated Collegiate Press named The Hatchet one of the best online college newspapers in the country.

The Hatchet is one of 13 papers to win the online Pacemaker award this year, which honors student-run newspapers that exhibit “deep and diverse coverage with strong engagement and interactivity” on their websites, according to the organization’s website.

Winners are selected based on work from the 2017-18 academic year, which was The Hatchet’s 114th volume, led by former editor in chief Lillianna Byington.

The Hatchet’s photo team also picked up a third-place award for photo of the year in the spot news category.

[gwh_image id=”1049628″ credit=”Hadley Chittum | Hatchet Photographer” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”]Freshman Jillian Kislow breaks down in tears after hearing speakers at a vigil in Kogan Plaza to remember the victims of a February shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.[/gwh_image]

The winning photo was taken by Hadley Chittum at a candlelight vigil in Kogan Plaza in February that remembered the victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. on Feb. 14.

The Hatchet won the online Pacemaker award in 2006, 2008 and 2010 – and was named a finalist in 2012. The Hatchet last won a Newspaper Pacemaker award – which is awarded based on content in the print edition – in 2015, marking the third consecutive year The Hatchet held the designation.