Crime log: Man posing as property manager steals thousands from student

Fraud

Off Campus
10/16/2018 – 2:30 p.m.
Closed Case

A female student reported to GW Police Department officers that she contacted an unknown male subject on social media to inquire about leasing an off-campus apartment. The male stated that she could not see the apartment until she paid the first month’s rent and the security deposit, so she wire transferred $2,250 to him, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report. The student discovered three days later that the man was not employed by the property management company he claimed to represent, the MPD report states.

– Off-campus incident.

Stalking

Gelman Library
10/17/2018 – 11:13 a.m.
Closed Case

A female student reported to GWPD that a family member was stalking her via phone calls and texts. There is limited information about her relationship to the subject. The student reported that the family member called the front desk of her work, asking to speak with her, but the front desk associate advised the family member that the student was not at work that day, according to an MPD report. The student told MPD officers she was disturbed by the phone call because she has not personally heard from the family member since 2015.

– Referred to MPD.

Threats in a Menacing Manner

Marvin Center
10/18/2018 – 5:30 a.m.
Closed Case

An alumnus reported to GWPD that he was threatened by a male staff member. There is limited information about the threat.

– Referred to Human Resources.

Attempted Burglary, Threats to do Bodily Harm

Off Campus
Unknown
Closed Case

A female student reported to GWPD that a male student attempted to burglarize her off-campus residence and threatened her. There is limited information about the case.

– Referred to Title IX office.

Fugitive from Justice

Marvin Center
10/19/2018 – 12:06 p.m.
Closed Case

GWPD responded to a report of a suspicious individual who interjected himself into a campus tour. Officers contacted the individual and determined that he was not affiliated with GW and that he had an active bench warrant with MPD, who responded and transported him to the Second District police station for processing.

– Subject arrested.

Harassment: Email and Electronic Media

Potomac House
10/19/2018 – 1:50 a.m.
Closed Case

A female student reported to GWPD that she received harassing text messages from a male staff member. There is limited information about the staff member’s position at GW.

– Referred to Title IX office.

Disorderly Conduct/Intoxication

Shenkman Hall
10/20/2018 – 1:10 a.m.
Closed Case

GWPD responded to a report of an intoxicated male student in the men’s restroom near the food court. EMeRG responded to the scene, and the student became disorderly while being assessed. EMeRG transported him to the GW Hospital for further medical treatment.

–Referred to the Office of Enrollment and the Student Experience.

Simple Assault, Weapons Violation

University Mall
10/22/2018 – 2:56 p.m.
Closed Case

GWPD responded to a report that an unknown female subject assaulted a female student exiting the Foggy Bottom Metro escalator. GWPD officers interviewed the student, canvassed the area and identified the female subject. Officers made contact with the woman, who was unaffiliated with the University, and found that she was in possession of an illegal knife. GWPD officers arrested her, and MPD transported her to the Third District police station for processing.

– Subject arrested.

– Compiled by Valerie Yurk.