Former guard joins men’s basketball coaching staff

Ethan Stoler | Hatchet Photographer
Matt Hart, a former guard who spent two seasons with the Colonials, joined the men’s basketball coaching staff.

Updated: Oct. 30, 2018 at 12:07 p.m.

Matt Hart – a former men’s basketball guard who appeared on GW’s roster two seasons ago – will return to the program as a coach, the men’s basketball coaching staff announced Friday night at GDub Madness.

Hart joined staff as the director of player development/video coordinator “a few weeks ago,” an athletic department spokesman confirmed Sunday. The position was previously held by Joe McDonald, who played at GW alongside Hart.

Head coach Maurice Joseph said Hart joined the coaching staff “recently.”

“Matt Hart is one of my favorite people, one of the hardest workers I’ve ever been around,” Joseph said after the rally. “I’m big on keeping our alums close to the family and when the position opened up, he’s one of the first guys I called.”

Joseph said Hart, who pursued a professional basketball career after leaving GW, sustained an injury so returning to the coaching staff was the “perfect opportunity” for Hart to rehabilitate and get back to the court.

“We’re happy to have him for the year and he’s a welcome addition,” Joseph said. “He’s family and that’s why he’s back.”

McDonald did not immediately return a request for comment.

McDonald and Hart were both members of the 2016 NIT Championship squad.

Hart first took the court for GW in 2015-16 after transferring from Hamilton College and sitting out the previous season. He continued with the program for a second season, and averaged 4.0 points and 11.3 minutes per game in 73 games played as a Colonial.

McDonald – who is a member of the 1,000 point club for GW and has pocketed 443 career assists – is the fourth member of the men’s basketball coaching staff to leave during the offseason.

Former director of basketball operations Victoria Sun, former director of strength and conditioning Matt Johnson and assistant coach Carmen Maciariello left before the 2018-19 season began.

Assistant coach Greg Paulus joined the staff in June.

Men’s basketball will tip-off for an exhibition game against Catholic at 4 p.m. Sunday, before officially starting its season at home against Stony Brook Nov. 6.

This post was updated to include comment from an athletic department spokesman.