Weekend outlook – Tour a haunted mansion through virtual reality equipment

Augment+Arcade%2C+a+virtual+reality+bar+located+on+the+first+floor+of+Flash+Nightclub+at+645+Florida+Ave.+NW%2C+opened+this+week.+
Augment Arcade, a virtual reality bar located on the first floor of Flash Nightclub at 645 Florida Ave. NW, opened this week.

Hear from one of America’s most influential poets on Friday, then relax outside with an autumnal opera performance Saturday afternoon. Then wrap up your weekend and get into the Halloween spirit with a virtual reality haunted house tour.

Friday

An Evening With Nikki Giovanni at Busboys and Poets

Award-winning poet, activist and educator Nikki Giovanni will be discussing her new book, “A Good Cry,” at Busboys and Poets new home on K Street. Giovanni published poetry anthologies and non-fiction essays in the 1960s inspired by the Civil Rights movement, including “Black Feeling, Black Talk” and “Black Judgement.” In her latest book, the 75-year-old poet reflects on her life the influences that have shaped her work. Limited reserved seats are sold out, but remaining seats at the venue are free and available on a first come, first serve basis.

Busboys and Poets, 450 K St. NW. 6 to 8 p.m. Free.

Saturday

Opera Outside at Meridian Hill Park

Enjoy the sweet sounds of opera on a crisp autumn day at the second annual “Opera Outside” performance Saturday at Meridian Hill Park, presented by the Washington Concert Opera and Washington Parks and People. Admission is free to all, and attendees are encouraged to bring a picnic blanket to view the performance. The park will resound with high notes courtesy of tenor Joshua Blue, soprano Maria Valdes and set to music with pianist David Hanlon.

Meridian Hill Park, 16 and W Streets NW. Starts at 11 a.m. Free.

Sunday

Halloween at Augment VR Arcade and Bar

Explore a hair-raising virtual reality experience that will transport you to a haunted mansion or the center of a zombie battle. Augment VR Arcade is limited to those who are 21 and over, and features a dance floor, disco ball, and full bar to enjoy before and after strapping on the virtual reality headsets in the arcade and bar. Visitors can make a reservation for this special, seasonal event for $60 or increase their time for $45 per additional hour.

Augment VR Arcade, 645 Florida Ave. NW. 2 to 8 p.m. Tickets start at $60.