Three firetrucks, GWPD respond to incident on 600 block of 21st Street NW

Firefighters and GW Police Department officers responded to an incident on the 600 block of 21st Street NW Thursday night and closed the street for about 30 minutes.

Updated: Oct. 12, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.

At least 10 firefighters and several GW Police Department officers responded to an incident on the 600 block of 21st Street NW Thursday night.

Three firetrucks and multiple police cars blocked the street for roughly 35 minutes, starting at about 5:55 p.m. Pedestrians were blocked from walking in front of 606 and 610 21st St. NW, where firefighters raised a ladder for about 25 minutes.

Douglas Buchanan, a spokesman for D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services, said Friday that firefighters arrived on scene at 5:51 p.m. after the department received a call about a possible electrical fire at 610 21st St. NW. He said the firefighters found no fire and shut down power to the building.

[gwh_image id=”1068126″ credit=”Donna Armstrong | Contributing Photo Editor” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”]Firefighters investigated a report of a possible electrical fire at 610 21st St. NW Thursday.[/gwh_image]

He said firefighters left GWPD officers to wait on scene until the University’s electrician arrived.

A GWPD officer on scene deferred to University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar, who said she did not have any information about the incident at this time.

This is a breaking news story. This post will be updated as more information becomes available.