Weekend outlook – Get a taste of Eastern Europe with bazaars, boat tours

The+fifth+annual+Million+Corg+March+will+begin+at+the+Thomas+Jefferson+Memorial+Sunday.+
Jack Fonseca | Staff Photographer
The fifth annual Million Corg March will begin at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Sunday.

Take in the sights of Europe from the edge of the District Wharf, then immerse yourself in Russian culture for a day of food, art and music. Finish the weekend off with a wholesome afternoon of dogs and a leisurely stroll by the monuments.

Friday

Vikings at The Wharf Arrival Ceremony

If you ever wanted to chat up some Vikings and explore a Norwegian ship, hop on the Draken Harald Harfagre, an operational Viking craft on The Wharf. You can watch the ship arrive in D.C. at 1 p.m., and hear Captain Bjorn Ahlander and current crew members discuss their most recent expedition. In 2016, they traveled along the Atlantic Ocean for several months, replicating the first known transatlantic crossing. Tour the ship of the Draken Exhibition, an installation around the ship, which includes a “village” with opportunities to learn about Viking history that is free to the public. The informational exhibition incorporates video and photo components, as well as opportunities to purchase merchandise and refreshments on land. This event continues through Oct. 15, organized by the Norwegian-American Chamber of Commerce Mid-Atlantic and The Royal Norwegian Embassy.

Transit Pier, 753 Water St. SW. 1 to 3 p.m. Free. Tours are $12 per person.

Saturday

Russian Bazaar 2018

Explore Russian culture at this annual event. On Saturday and Sunday, the bazaar features music, dance, art and even a free tour of the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. The $1 food tickets allow you to sample from a platter of options like Napoleon cake and poppy seed rolls, along with savory dishes like beef stroganoff, an eggplant caviar called ikra and meat dumplings. For the shopper, peruse the bazaar’s variety of used books or check out its vintage items, with authentic products imported from Russia, including handcrafted Christmas ornaments, dolls, amber jewelry and hand-painted eggs.

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, 4001 17th St. NW. Noon to 6 p.m. Free.

Sunday

Million Corg March – Derpin’ in DC Vol. 5

If you are sticking around for fall break and miss your furry friends at home, this annual march is a great opportunity to interact with dogs and snap Instagram photos of a puppy stampede. The march kicks off at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial and participants, both human and dog, will then walk around the National Mall for about 40 minutes. Walkers will end up at the Washington Monument to take pictures and socialize. Even if you don’t have a corgi to bring, nothing stops you from spending the day with the mass of adorable dogs.

Thomas Jefferson Memorial, 16 E. Basin Drive SW. 2 to 5 p.m. Free.