Law professors sign letter calling on Senate to reject Kavanaugh

Twenty-five law professors signed onto a national letter this week imploring the Senate not to confirm Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

The professors are some of more than 2,400 law instructors across the country who attached their names to a public letter published in The New York Times Wednesday. The letter, which has been updated with new signatories over the past two days, will be presented to the Senate Thursday, according to The Times.

The letter claims that Kavanaugh is unfit to serve on the highest court in the United States, citing his “aggressive” behavior during testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week.

“We regret that we feel compelled to write to you, our Senators, to provide our views that at the Senate hearings on Sept. 27, Judge Brett Kavanaugh displayed a lack of judicial temperament that would be disqualifying for any court, and certainly for elevation to the highest court of this land,” the letter states.

Kavanaugh was called to testify before senators after allegations of sexual assault surfaced against him last month. Christine Blasey Ford, a psychology professor at Palo Alto University, alleged that the judge assaulted her at a high school party more than 30 years ago.

She also testified in front of the judiciary committee last week.

“Instead of trying to sort out with reason and care the allegations that were raised, Judge Kavanaugh responded in an intemperate, inflammatory and partial manner, as he interrupted and, at times, was discourteous to senators,” the letter states.

Joan Schaffner, an associate professor of law who signed the letter, said law professors have an obligation to voice their concerns about the nomination for such a critical political appointment. She said Kavanaugh’s behavior during the trial was “seriously disturbing.”

“It suggests that he lacks the integrity and judicial demeanor to be appointed to the Supreme Court for life,” she said in an email. “Given this, I felt a responsibility to join my colleagues and inform the Senate of this.”

Ira Lupu, an F. Elwood and Eleanor Davis professor emeritus of law, said he signed onto the letter because “I agreed with it, and because I believe Dr. Blasey Ford that Kavanaugh assaulted her in 1982. Simple as that.”

Senators are set to vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination Saturday following the conclusion of an FBI investigation into the assault allegations, Time reported.