Law school launches alumni career, mentorship office

The law school now features a dedicated center to help alumni jumpstart or further their careers.

The Office of Alumni Career Development and Mentorship launched last month to provide law school alumni with career and counseling services. The office also now oversees the school’s alumni mentorship program, which connects current students and recent graduates with alumni to build professional relationships, officials said.

Keri McCoy, the inaugural director of the Office of Alumni Career Development and Mentorship, said in a University release last month that in her first year heading the office, she aims to promote the new services and expand the law school’s mentorship program.

“No matter whether they are junior, mid-level or senior, in the private or public sector, local or abroad, we want them to know that we are here to provide assistance,” she said in the release.

She said she will work to attract more alumni to the program, seeking volunteers from outside the District and honing in on small markets.

Before taking the helm of the new office, McCoy oversaw alumni counseling in the law school’s career office, law school spokeswoman Liz Field said.

“Since joining the law school, Ms. McCoy has assisted thousands of alumni in identifying and achieving their career goals,” Field said in an email.

Field said law school officials will conduct “various outreach initiatives” to attract alumni to become involved in the new office and the mentorship program but didn’t specify what they will be.

“One of the greatest strengths of the law school is the quality and breadth of experience in our alumni community,” she said.

Field declined to say for how long officials have been planning to launch the office and who was involved in the process. She declined to say why officials decided to launch the office or what the selection process for the director of the office included.